Ted joined Brian Costin of Americans For Prosperity Illinois to talk about the impact of Illinois’ grossly unbalanced 2021 budget. The bottom line is this:
This is by far the most irresponsible budget ever passed by an Illinois legislature. It’s no wonder that the words bankruptcy and Illinois increasingly go hand-in-hand.
Lawmakers have run up a deficit of over $6 billion and they’re counting on the federal government to bail out the state. It spends a record amount of money in the middle of one of the worst recessions ever. It offers no cuts or reforms to provide relief to struggling taxpayers.
Instead, it relies on an income tax hike that will burden business and residents while they try to recover from the government-imposed shutdown.
Read more about COVID-19 and the impact on Illinois:
- COVID-19 Peaked In April in Illinois Just When Pritzker Changed ‘Science and Data’ To Say Otherwise
- No cuts, record spending, and hoping for a bailout. Eight things you need to know about Illinois’ 2021 budget.
- Illinois government jobs protected, private sector jobs decimated during COVID-19 shutdown
- COVID-19 spreads to half of all Chicagoland retirement homes. How did this happen?
- Big raises for Chicago Teachers Union, AFSCME shows where federal aid will end up
- Trading at junk levels: Illinois borrowing costs 5 times higher than AAA-rated states
- Pritzker’s overly-restrictive shutdown rules make Illinois a national outlier